Our congregation is dedicated to serving causes both in our community and abroad. These are some of the organizations and missions we support both financially and through volunteer work.
Family Promise of Hunterdon County has become an important focus of our mission at Grace UCC. From the Family Promise website:
“Family Promise of Hunterdon is the only homeless shelter for families in Hunterdon County. Family Promise and the Interfaith Hospitality Network (IHN) is a unique community partnership of paid staff and volunteers from a vast network of congregations throughout Hunterdon County. We offer a continuum of services that includes shelter, food, homeless prevention/rapid re-housing, mental health services and after-shelter support. Our volunteers offer even more – love, support and companionship.”
Each year, members of Grace UCC form a team to buy Christmas presents for families in need in the community. The families are identified by Family Promise, and the Grace UCC Angel Patrol does the purchasing and wrapping of the gifts.
Our collections for the Flemington Area Food Pantry are held the last Sunday of every month. Please bring the needed items (please see the food pantry website for the most up to date list) and place them in the blue bin marked “food pantry”. Someone from the church will deliver them to the Flemington Food Pantry.
Flemington food pantry: 154 Route 31 North, Flemington, NJ 08822. 908-788-5568
We ask members and friends to save their pennies and nickels and bring them to church, placing them in the silver “Change Bowl.” With these pennies and nickels we have, through Church World Service (CWS) and other agencies, been able to buy water containers, tents, and other items for those struggling with poverty.
Habitat for Humanity International is a non-profit, ecumenical Christian housing ministry with the goal of making decent, affordable housing available to every family worldwide. Raritan Valley Habitat for Humanity (RVHFH) is committed to achieving that goal in Somerset and Hunterdon counties. Grace UCC is and has been a faith partner with Habitat’s home building projects in Somerset, Franklin Township, and Bridgewater, New Jersey. Grace UCC helps build these homes via financial and “hands on” work. Thank you for your support of Habitat and Grace UCC to make these homes possible.
Currently, we sponsor a child from Zambia through the Christian Children’s Fund named Messia.
SAFE in Hunterdon is an organization that serves victims and survivors of domestic and sexual abuse. Their 24-hour hotline is 1-888-988-4033.
Here at Grace UCC we support efforts for peace in our community and in the world.
We are proud of being a “5 for 5″ church within the United Church of Christ. “5 for 5″ means we financially and prayerfully support the following:
- UCC Basic Support (OCWM-Our Church’s Wider Mission): Provides funding from congregations for Conferences and the national ministries of the United Church of Christ (Wider Church Ministries, Local Church Ministries, Justice and Witness Ministries, General Ministries, and Pension Boards).
- UCC SPECIAL MISSION OFFERINGS (Part of Our Church’s Wider Mission (OCWM), these four offerings sponsor vital ministries that bring hope to people in the U.S. and around the world.):
- One Great Hour of Sharing (Fourth Sunday in Lent): Channels resources for international programs in health, education and agricultural development, emergency relief, refugee ministries, and both international and domestic disaster response, administered by Wider Church Ministries, Global Sharing of Resources.
- Strengthen the Church (Pentecost Sunday): Supports leadership for new and revitalizing congregations, programs for youth and young adults, and leadership development for the whole church. UCC Conference and Local Church Ministries carry out these ministries.
- Neighbors in Need (First Sunday in October): Supports ministries of justice and comparison throughout the United States and Puerto Rico, including the Council for American Indian Ministries (CAIM), justice and advocacy, and direct service projects supported by Justice and Witness Ministries.
- The Christmas Fund (Sunday before Christmas): Helps provide pension and health premium supplementation to low-income retired church workers, emergency assistance to clergy families in need, and Christmas checks to hundreds of annuitants, as administered by the Pension Boards.